Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Poetry Wednesday, Vol. 17

The Worms Go In - anonymous

Don't you ever laugh as a hearse goes by,
for you may be the next to die.
They wrap you up in a big white sheet,
And cover you up from your head down to your feet.
They put you in a big black box,
And cover you up with dirt and rocks.
All goes well for about a week,
And then your coffin begins to leak.
The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
The worms play pinochle on your snout.
They eat your eyes, they eat your nose,
They eat the jelly between your toes.
A big green worm with rolling eyes,
Crawls in your stomach and out your eyes.
Your stomach turns a slimy green,
And pus pours out like whipping cream.
You spread it out on a slice of bread,
And that's what you eat when you are dead.




Just in time for Halloween and Dia de los Muertos, we have a little grossness. My girls are just getting old enough to enjoy the gross with me. Although Elia mostly just rolls her eyes and breathes, "Mooooom..."

Marie and the renounced devil did beat me, go check out her poem, it may just be a bit less nasty than mine.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, this one is great!
My kids have each hit a morbid phase at about age 3/4, my youngest just started now. It passed in about six months. I think it freaked out the neighbors that I let my kids talk about death and sickness and stuff like that, we had to work on how some families have rules that we need to respect that say you don't play dead. . . .I actually think that making it part of life and play made it easier for them to deal with when the real thing happened, they weren't blindsided? Dunno, only their therapist when they are 40 will tell. ...

Beth Hanna said...

I'd forgotten about that nasty little poem! We didn't just quote it, we used to sing it in a gloomy voice! So much fun!