Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Poetry Wednesday, Vol. 18

It was difficult to choose a poem for today. You see, our friends Bobby and Paige are grieving the loss of their unborn child. Today we attend little Adrian's funeral. It is such a sad time, and yet. Paige and Bobby have been beautiful, gracious and faithful in their grief. A quiet witness to the love and grace of God. We continue to pray for their family, and hope you will too.



Hush
For my son

The way a tired Chippewa woman
Who's lost a child gathers up black feathers,
Black quills & leaves
That she wraps & swaddles in a little bale, a shag
Cocoon she carries with her & speaks to always
As if it were the child,
Until she knows the soul has grown fat & clever,
That the child can find its own way at last;
Well, I go everywhere
Picking the dust out of the dust, scraping the breezes
Up off the floor, & gather them into a doll
Of you, to touch at the nape of the neck, to slip
Under my shirt like a rag - the way
Another man's wallet rides above his heart. As you
Cry out, as if calling to a father you conjure
In the paling light, the voice rises, instead, in me.
Nothing stops it, the crying. Not the clove of moon,
Not the woman raking my back with her words. Our letters
Close. Sometimes, you ask
About the world; sometimes, I answer back. Nights
Return you to me for a while, as sleep returns sleep
To a landscape ravaged
& familiar. The dark watermark of your absence, a hush.

David St. John



1 comment:

Beth Hanna said...

I'm so sorry and I'm praying for Paige and her family today. Beautiful poem.