Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Poetry Wednesday, Vol. 24

At first read I did not think this to be an adequate Christmas poem. But at second read I thought it to be perfect. If you aren't joining in this week, please scroll down and click on the link to the Advent Poetry blog for some more beautiful poetry.
May you have a peaceful and blessed Christmas.


Susanna

Nobody in the hospital
Could tell the age
Of the old woman who
Was called Susanna

I knew she spoke some English
And that she was an immigrant
Out of a little country
Trampled by armies

Because she had no visitors
I would stop by to see her
But she was always sleeping

All I could do
Was to get out her comb
And carefully untangle
The tangles in her hair

One day I was beside her
When she woke up
Opening small dark eyes
Of a surprising clearness

She looked at me and said
You want to know the truth?
I answered Yes

She said it's something that
My mother told me

There's not a single inch
Of our whole body
That the Lord does not love

She then went back to sleep.






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I chose an Anne Porter poem today as well! I like the one you posted here just as much! Again, like with Marigold's poem last week, I am amazed how poets like Ms. Porter can invoke within me such emotion and even, in this case, comfort, using so few words. Thanks for this. It is really lovely!

Michelle said...

Merry Christmas Kris!

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas :)


x M.

Beth said...

Kris, what a lovely poem. I love Porter's simple language. Thank you for the reminder that God can love every inch of me. A blessed Christmas.

Emily Lorelli said...

Christ is Born! Glorify Him! Thank you for hosting this wonderful venue for sharing great poetry. Have a glorious Christmas!