Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Poetry Wednesday, Vol. 42

It is no secret that around these parts we enjoy Natalie Merchant. The husband and I fell in love to the sounds of her ethereal, quavery, strange voice. The lady just came out with a new album and she did not disappoint. In this new album, Leave Your Sleep, she has taken poetry and set it to music. We have been listening to her voice for the better part of a week now and we keep finding new favorites. So today I post two poems, Elia's favorite and Josie's favorite.

Elia loves The King of China's Daughter because "I can sing along to it." We will be driving somewhere and I will hear a high pitched, slightly off key and warbley Elia voice coming from the back. I love it.

Please don't just read the words, please go here and listen to the music. Without the music the poems are just sweet poems. The music makes them good poems.




The King of China’s Daughter
(Anonymous)

The king of China’s daughter
So beautiful to see
With her face like yellow water,
Left her nutmeg tree.

Her little rope for skipping
She kissed and gave it me
Made of painted notes of singing-birds
Among the fields of tea.

I skipped across the nutmeg grove
I skipped across the sea;
But neither sun nor moon, my dear,
Has yet caught me.







The Josie's favorite poem is Bleezer's Ice Cream. It is so silly and funny and crazy and just like Josie. We hear exclamations of Tuna?!! Baloney?!! BUBBLEGUM!!! Once again, though, this poem is cute, but the music makes it extra special - so please go listen and wonder at all the crazy flavors.




Bleezer’s Ice-Cream
Jack Prelutsky (1940 – )

I am Ebenezer Bleezer,
I run BLEEZER’S ICE-CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer
you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations
too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor,
try the flavors on my list:

COCOA MOCHA MACARONI
TAPIOCA SMOKED BOLONEY
CHECKERBERRY CHEDDAR CHEW
CHICKEN CHERRY HONEYDEW
TUTTI-FRUTTI STEWED TOMATO
TUNA TACO BAKED POTATO
LOBSTER LITCHI LIMA BEAN
MOZZARELLA MANGOSTEEN
ALMOND HAM MERINGUE SALAMI
YAM ANCHOVY PRUNE PASTRAMI
SASSAFRAS SOUVLAKI HASH
SUKIYAKI SUCCOTASH
BUTTER BRICKLE PEPPER PICKLE
POMEGRANATE PUMPERNICKEL
PEACH PIMENTO PIZZA PLUM
PEANUT PUMPKIN BUBBLEGUM
AVOCADO BRUSSELS SPROUT
PERIWINKLE SAUERKRAUT
BROCCOLI BANANA BLUSTER
CHOCOLATE CHOP SUEY CLUSTER
COTTON CANDY CARROT CUSTARD
CAULIFLOWER COLA MUSTARD
ONION DUMPLING DOUBLE DIP
TURNIP TRUFFLE TRIPLE FLIP
GARLIC GUMBO GRAVY GUAVA
LENTIL LEMON LIVER LAVA
ORANGE OLIVE BAGEL BEET
WATERMELON WAFFLE WHEAT

I am Ebenezer Bleezer,
I run BLEEZER’S ICE-CREAM STORE,
taste a flavor from my freezer,
you will surely ask for more.
twenty-eight divine creations
too delicious to resist,
come on, do yourself a favor,
try the flavors on my list.










7 comments:

Molly Sabourin said...

Kris, those were so fun to listen to! I love that you threw a CD recommendation (with links to the tracks) in your poetry wednesday post. I am always in search of good music we can ALL listen to in the car. Its nice to hear from Ms. Merchant again!

Beth Hanna said...

How fun! I didn't hear MY favorite though, but that's OK, I'd probably, maybe, possibly?? try some of those flavors! You guys will have to sing the songs to me when I see you next!

Beth said...

Love, love Natalie Merchant. Thanks for posting the poems and the links to the songs. The twins birthdays are coming up and I think this album might be a gift. Peaceful day to you.

Michelle said...

It must be the day for songs! I was feeling particularly uninspired today, when I finally came up with something - a song.

Of course, I have no CD recommendation, nor do I have links to the soundtrack.

Enjoyed that!
~Michelle

anna j said...

I too am grateful for the link to the CD . . . I've been wanting to hear more of the album and so spent the latter part of my workday this afternoon rocking out to Natalie :-)

Jennifer said...

These are adorable! I'm looking forward to playing these for my daughter in the morning! Thanks for sharing.

Ruthie said...

Love it! Thanks for introducing me to Natalie Merchant!