Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Abuela is here!

Or she was here.

She arrived Saturday evening and stayed through Sunday (just long enough for the bi-annual cleaning of the stove) and we dropped her off in Chicago Monday for Founder's Week 2010. You know the stove was dirty when a clean one is the first thing a husband notices when he walks in the kitchen.
But she will be back! We will pick her up on Thursday and thus will begin her time of indentured servitude at the Livo casa.
The husband tells me I shouldn't make Mom work so hard when she visits. She's here to see us, not to clean our house, he says.

Ha ha! I say.
My mother's spiritual gift is the gift of giving, and far be it from me to thwart that gift. Never let it be said that I affected my mother's spiritual growth negatively. No! So she will clean my stove and make me skirts and fold the laundry and give me hope that someday I will be able to manage it all. She says she loves to clean, so I graciously allow her to do what she loves. I know. I'm nice that way.

Because aren't mothers wonderful? They do indeed give you hope.
With a few gentle reminders that, "if you clean up after yourself AS you cook, it won't be so hard later" and "if you fold the laundry right out of the dryer the clothes won't wrinkle so much", you feel hope that just by following these simple rules things will be better. And you know, mothers are right. Spending a couple days with Mom gave me energy and I cleaned up after myself today, I made the bed when I got up, I cleaned up as I cooked. Wouldn't you know it, but the day was better.

Of course the day might also have been better because Abuela brought some treats.
Candy and goodies and some dress up clothes, Spiderman and Superman to be exact.




The Superman cape is a little Lucha Libre-esque, but that makes it more wonderful in my opinion.
Today I laughed at little boys running around in capes, wrestling until there were tears and lost capes, then re-donning the capes and going back for more. Today I cooked on a clean stove, and wiped it up when I was done! Today I started a list of all the wonderful things we are going to do with Abuela while she visits. Many of those things she will do for us (yes!), but most of those things we will do together.



Hold tight to your mothers. They are a soothing balm in this hectic, frazzled life.
They remind you that the babies don't stay two forever, so enjoy them now.
They help you make sense of your cluttered house, bringing peace and tidiness.
They give you hope.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Alan & Beth McManus said...

Just remember, you have to give her back in a week and a half!

Beth said...

Mothers are the best. After receiving a desperate call last Thursday night that my house was a disaster and our house blessing the following evening, my mother promptly volunteered to come over and play with the boys while I engaged in some heavy duty deep cleaning of the house. How does dust accumulate so quickly? And don't get me started on the state of the stove and oven. I am happy for you all that you are able to spend some time with your loved one! Enjoy the rest of your time together.

Kris Livovich said...

Bethie, I suppose I'll give her back - but only if her passport and FM3 come through!